At a logical stage in this process of growth and development these different Units of the College were converted with effect from June 11, 1961, into independent Colleges governed by separate Governing Bodies but under the ultimate control of a Central Council in matters of Policy, co-operation and co-ordination.
The Surya Sen Street branch has two units — Morning and Evening imparting instructions in B. Com. (Pass & Honours) courses. These Units were known as City College Commerce Department Surya Sen Street Evening Unit and Morning Unit. THE MORNING UNIT WAS SEPARATELY AFFILIATED TO CU IN 1961 AS UMESCHANDRA COLLEGE.
Though formed into a separated institution Umeshchandra College has retained the features of the Commerce Department and provision of curricular and extra curricular facilities has been continued.
The College is housed in commodious building. In addition to lecture theatres and tutorial rooms, the college possesses a big library hall, a reading room and a well equipped museum and commercial laboratory. The Vocational section is affiliated to the Board of Commercial Education, West Bengal and imparts instruction in Shorthand and Typewriting.
Located in the central position of the city, the college is within easy reach by public transport. As the college is close to B. B. D. Bag and main business centres of the city, persons already employed can work in their offices after college hours.
In 1990 the Commerce Department of the City Group of Colleges (1939-1989) completed fifty years and celebrated Golden Jubilee year. The College fondly remembers Mr. Arun Kumar Sen, the Chief Architect of Commerce Group of Colleges and a pioneer in the field of commerce education in Bengal.
City College, Calcutta was one of the oldest first graduate college in Bengal.